What a strange week it's been. I started out having had two months off work, no sign of any job hunting apart from an occasional look at the 'jobs in kent' website and I hadn't even opened my old and extremely out of date CV!
And then on Tuesday when I happened to look at the 'jobs in kent' website there was a web developer job advertised and it could have been written for me really. First things first it was web development which I enjoy and as well as some of my old skills it included .NET, ASP.NET, C# etc. And not only that but it was a decent wage (okay a bit of a pay-cut from what I was on but that really doesn't matter to me right now) and more importantly it looks like a nice company and is just up the road in Kings Hill. How fab would that be?
However the closing date was the 3rd - Sunday!!! So it was action-stations! In retrospect it was probably the best thing which could have happened as I now have an up-to-date CV! With the help of a couple of ex-colleagues I have managed to draft one - don't really know how good it is, but I just need to read through and double-check tomorrow morning and then I can e-mail it in to them along with my lovely covering letter.
It's stirred up all sorts of strange feelings though. I don't have all of the essential skills as I haven't really used .NET or C# in anger. It's daft, I did the courses three years ago but then we got out-sourced and 'B's then faffed around at deciding where it wanted its work-force and who would do what, and so it got sat on it and not used much. I was supporting some .NET applications shortly before I left but in typical 'A' style I was managing the offshore team and peer-revewing their work rather than doing it myself. So my confidence in my skills is really really rock-bottom. And the thought of a technical interview is simply terrifying!!! One of my colleagues who has just got a new job is going to send through a list of about 60 questions he got asked and I think I'm just going to have to revise like mad for the next few weeks and hope that my CV is enough to get me the interview.
I know that I can do this job - I have 13 years commercial experience for heavens sake and I know how to do the job inside out. I just need them to give me a chance and be given a few weeks grace to learn the technicalities of C# etc. Go-on! You know it makes sense!!
No comments:
Post a Comment