Friday, 29 February 2008

Leap Year

Today has been a stormer of a day.

  • I had to get up early this morning to pop up to the doctors for a blood test. It was an FSH test which is follicle-stimulating hormone and has to be done on day 2-4 of your monthly cycle. The amount of FSH in your blood indicates your ovarian reserve and basically how near to menopause you are. I'm not worried about this test, it's just one you have to have before each IVF cycle so that the doctors can better estimate the amount of stimulation required. As my ovaries were super-sensitive last time I suspect (and truly hope!) that there is no danger of any bad results at this stage.

  • We had our chat and plan at the Chaucer today which was straight-forward and they just whizzed us back through the cycle to ensure we knew what we were doing. We signed our consent forms, paid for the DR drugs and came away with all our kit ready to begin with my next period at the end of March. I felt fine about this and kind of can't believe we're getting ready to cycle again already - December and January feel like some kind of dream, something that happened to someone else and not me.

  • I had a phone call from my interview people to say they are offering me a job and that I will be starting in two weeks time. This is the most surreal part of my day really. I'm finding it hard to believe that I've applied for just one job, had just one interview and am now being asked to be a senior .NET developer at this company. I feel slightly like it's all a charade and I'm playing someone else's part.

So I am now mostly feeling:-

Excited
Stressed
Good to go
Pleased
Concerned
Ready to go
Scared
Proud
Can't wait to go
Unsettled

Why isn't life straight-forward?!

I will start work on 17th March and start down-regulating for IVF a week and a half later. I will then need somehow, without telling work about the IVF, get time off for all my scans and for EC and ET. At the same time I will be trying to work my arse off to do okay at my new job and ensure I have the skills to do well and don't look at complete numpty.

I'm really quite scared at how I'm going to cope with it all. I WANT the job so there's no question of me not taking it - it's a great opportunity and I need to take it to get the experience it offers. But I don't want my IVF cycle to suffer in any way whatsoever. So I feel slightly stressed already!!

I guess I shouldn't stress - what's the worst that could happen? They sack me? I'm on 20 weeks probation so I have 20 weeks to make a good impression and hopefully get pregnant at the same time ha ha. I don't think I'd better mention the treatment to them as it could be a reason for them to get rid of me after my probation (even tho' it's not legal to do that!)

I guess I should be pleased and proud - first interview in 13 years or so and I get the job. That really is kind of cool.

But much as I'm stressing about the job the most exciting part of all is that we START OUR NEXT CYCLE REALLY REALLY SOON!!! THIS TIME - PLEASE!! WOOOOOOO!!! HOOOOOOO!!!!

1 comment:

God, Love, Life and Rugby said...

You should be so damn proud.
Don't stress.
Hannah xx