Friday, 7 December 2007

Embryo Transfer Day

It's happened! How exciting! I now have two nicely dividing embryos aboard - welcome boys! I hope they stay put for the next 9 months.

Today was another roller-coaster really, this IVF lark really isn't easy or straight-forward. I had a terrible nights sleep and woke up with my stomach and tummy feeling really strange. I guess it wasn't too surprising after yesterdays diarrhoea but today was a bit different it was indigestion. I had to phone the Bradbourne to speak to one of the nurses to say how I was and at 9am things weren't too bad. They did get worse though. I drank some milk and then attempted a cup-a-soup and oh boy! Did that hurt? It was the worst indigestion ever and I had to lie down for a bit.

So by the time I got to the clinic in the afternoon for embryo transfer I was really worried. I'm still really at risk of OHSS and the aching tummy is a bit of a sign. The consultant did look worried when he asked how I was and I began to say about what was happening. Although he then asked if I had had diarrhoea today or had felt sick or been sick and as I hadn't he was happy to go ahead.

I'm a little worried now though as OHSS is a risk for probably the next couple of weeks - it normally arrives anytime in the week after egg collection when the ovaries carry on being stimulated. As I had so many follicles this is a real risk. I have to keep drinking 2-3 litres of fluid a day, sports drinks in particular are good. And just hope and pray that my aching tummy doesn't get worse and I don't start feeling sick or bad.

And as for my 'boys' - I can't believe that I actually have these two fertilised eggs inside me. We saw the two of them on the big screen and they were just little bundles of 4-5 cells at the moment. At least they are warm and safe inside me now, I just hope they get all they need from me and KEEP GROWING!!

No comments: