Wednesday, 5 December 2007

Egg Collection Day

Egg collection day was totally awesome!

I was scheduled in for 8am collection which meant I had to get there for 7.30am. So we left the house at 6.30 in pitch darkness and pouring rain to get to the clinic on time and we were just 10 miles from Canterbury when my car suddenly mis-fired at a roundabout and then started juddering. One of the engine lights started flashing and I was absolutely having kittens!! We had 20 minutes to get to the hospital and so I just kept driving. Rob looked in the manual and it said the flashing light was a malfunction in the engine and that I should go to a dealer immediately and not accelerate hard. OMG! It was horrendous! I just kept driving and praying and driving and praying! All the time the engine was juddering and I had this image of us broken down by the side of the road in the rain trying to call a taxi. Thankfully we made it! Once off the dual carriageway there are a number of right-hand turns to get to the Chaucer and I thought it was going to conk out at each one. As we got to the main road before the hospital we were saying 'we can walk it from here!' and I was almost sobbing with relief.

So I went into my egg collection emotional, stressed and feeling completely zonked after an awful nights sleep. I dread to think what my blood pressure was! But it went well. I walked down to the theatre with Rob and a nurse in my fetching hospital gown. Said ta-ra to Rob and laid down on the table and they put a drip into my hand and I started to feel a bit strange and woozy and could hear them saying 'Sarah', 'Sarah'. I couldn't see a thing without my contacts which probably helped and the next thing I knew I was back in the room with Rob feeling really drowsy. Easy!

The embryologist came to see us and said that they had collected 16 eggs and 10 of them were mature enough for ICSI which was a really good result. They will then phone tomorrow to tell us how many have matured and fertilised properly.

Once I had the all clear to go home we had a small matter of calling the AA to see about my car. Luckily Rob's membership covers any car he is travelling in and the lovely man arrived after about 30 mins and could fix it - what a star! It was a coil or something which was causing the engine to misfire and so £79 poorer I finally made it to the sofa back home.

No comments: