I bought a shopping bag on Friday. Now that might sound kind of strange. It's basically a square bag made out of canvas with strong stitching through it, in a bright breezy green by Roxy and cost a fiver from TKMaxx. I'd been thinking about this for a while. Every lunchtime I walk into town to get some fresh air and I usually buy some of my lunch in town, some orange juice, a smoothie and always The Times newspaper. It was Sainsburies who got me thinking - with their bags for life days and the posh 'I am not a plastic bag' designer bags they've been selling. And I began to wonder about all the plastic bags I've been using at lunchtime - at a minimum it's one a day and usually more.
So my new green bag is my attempt to be more environmentally friendly. As it's made out of material it folds down into a little square and fits in my handbag. And then when I get to Sainsburies or WHSmiths I can say 'NO!' to a plastic bag and whip out my Roxy and bag my goodies. It's brilliant! I can't believe I haven't done it before and everyone should be doing this! Today I turned down three (THREE!) carrier bags which previously I'd have taken with no more than a thought about them. And multiply this by all the millions of people who bought their lunch, their paper, a book, a birthday card, some shampoo etc. etc. today and that adds up to a really nasty number of plastic bags, most of which will have been thrown into the dustbin already by this evening. What a waste!
The Shell advert in the newspaper lately has has the slogan "Don't throw it away - there is no away!" It's so true and I wish that everyone could begin to realise it.
No comments:
Post a Comment