Tuesday, 19 June 2007

1st appointment with Mr Evans

Well we had our appointment today to see Mr Evans at the Chaucer. I was SO nervous by the time we were ready to go in. How silly! He was a nice enough man though and went through all the pre-stuff and talked about the best options for treatment for us. He has recommended that we go for ICSI which is when they take my eggs and then inject Rob's sperm into each egg and then pick the best two embryo to put into my womb. He then went through the whole process with us. I think it's kind of a legal thing that he has to tell us all the risks and the chances of things working and not working and any side-effects etc. We were talking afterwards and the risks mean nothing to us at the moment - it's our only chance of having kids so we just want to get on with it.

I'm not sure when we can actually start though, I need to talk to one of the nursing staff who is going to ring me in the week to go through the diary. It's really complicated as it has to fit in with my cycle and of course they have to have a space in their diary which apparently is already very busy! So it sounds as though it might be later in the year that we begin. I'm so impatient - I just want to get going!! Please let some of the ladies already in the diary get pregnant so I can get their cancellation :)

The treatment is all a bit scary. I have to learn to inject (INJECT!!) myself as there are certain hormones I need to be having at certain points which can only be injected. There are also some things I have to erm...stick up my bum (!!) at one point in the cycle too. I haven't the foggiest what they are supposed to do ha ha. It all looks like it will certainly be an interesting experience!

Another strange thing I found out today was that Miss Henderson who was the consultant who did my hysteroscopy/col?oscopy had written that it had been difficult to do those procedures as my uterus and cervix were tricky or something. It's all very bizarre as everything up there was okay but for some reason they were more difficult than normal - what's that all about?! So it means that I have to have a test run at them trying to put the tube up into my womb to make sure they can do it okay before they try to actually put eggs up there at the crucial moment. If that doesn't go well then I have to have another procedure before the IVF to do something to my cervix (which didn't sound all that pleasant!)

Still it's another step forward. We're getting there :)

No comments: