Friday, 4 April 2008

I want to ride my bicycle

I rode my bike to work today for the first time! We managed to get it up from my parents cellar where it had been for about 8 years, covered in dust with rather flat tires and squeaky brakes! Thankfully it fit in the car to bring back home and Rob kindly gave it a quick service one day during the week. I went to Halfords on Wednesday and bought a new pump and a bike lock and voila! It was a nice day today and Fridays are dress-down so I thought I'd give it a go.

And it was brilliant! Going was hard work as it's all up-hill and my thighs were burning after the first five minutes. I had to remind myself to relax and not try too hard because I didn't want to arrive at work a complete sweaty useless wreck ha ha. I did find it rather hard to walk up to the second floor when I got there as my thighs had given up, but I loved it! At lunchtime I walked past my bike in the rack and felt like beaming at it - that's my bike! And coming home was simply wonderful - it was all downhill and I zoomed along and just had to shout woooooo-hooooooo at the first bit. It felt so wonderful and I was laughing my head off with joy, thanking God for my new job so close to home and singing the Queen bicycle song over and over in my head and saying 'how cool is this?' to myself.

By the way, the photo isn't a picture of my bike - I'm not sure I actually have any actually but this is a random bike picture taken on honeymoon in Rarotonga in the Cook Islands when we did a whole lap of the Island. Sounds impressive until I tell you it only takes about an hour!

No comments: