Thursday, 24 January 2008

Running again

Ouch, ouch, ouch! Oh hang on a minute.....ooouuuuucccchh! I think that's it for the moment.

I went out for a run this morning and it nearly killed me. I was trying to think of the last time I actually did any hard exercise and it has to be the start of September when I played in the first Beccs rugby match of the season. Since then with the treatment and everything I've not done much apart from a bit of yoga, and I've not even been doing that for a couple of months. So it was time! When I was miscarrying and everything hurt so much, I had a real urge to go out running. I actually love the feeling of pounding the streets, lungs burning and I think at New Year I was feeling so much emotional pain that I wanted to run and run and run just to burn away another type of pain. The last couple of weeks though I've chickened out and just kept putting it off.

I'd decided last night that I was going this morning and when I got up I felt physically sick and faint and wobbly. My tummy was aching and I had a couple of bowel movements. It's always like this the first time I go running when I've not been for ages. It's kind of like a psycho-somatic reaction where my brain is telling my body to put on symptoms to put me off going. But I went.

I'm not really sure how far I ran as I've never done the route before but I was out for about 40 minutes. It did hurt. It's a route where you run out and then run back the same way, so I managed to run (jog/stagger) out but then I had to do a bit of power-walking at intervals on the way back. It turned into a fartlek really as for every time I walked I made sure I jogged the same distance and pushed it for the same distance. I got back, felt sick, ached like mad and felt my muscles cramping. I had to rest my arms in the shower washing my hair as they ached to much in the air - how sad is that? What a state!

But I went! I did it! And I'm going to do it again. Despite the pain and the aches I really enjoyed it. I love running and I only ever realise how much I miss it when I go back to it after not having done it for ages. What a great idiot.

No comments: