Monday, 14 January 2008

Future check list

I have a list of things in my head which I subconsciously blame for why I lost the baby over the new year. I know that all of these reasons are total rubbish. We don't know why it happened - it was just one of those things and I know that nothing I did caused it. However in the first few days it was all I could think of - all the things I might have done to cause it and things which I had been thinking in my head which made it happen. So just to get them all down and out of my head and reveal them for the rubbish they are, here is my list of things which did not cause my miscarriage:-

  • It's okay to read forward more than one week at a time in the pregnancy book, it is not tempting fate!
  • It's okay to eat a few honey-roasted cashew nuts even though nuts are generally to be avoided. This did not cause anything!
  • It's okay to dream ahead as it's only natural but maybe next time try to take things a bit more a day at a time. Dreaming does not cause miscarriage!
  • It's probably not such a good idea to buy clothes thinking 'that will still look okay when I have a bump' - but it is not tempting fate!
  • Speculating about the number of embryos in my womb cannot cause them to miscarry.
  • Dreaming of having twins is nice. It might be a bit daft but it still doesn't tempt fate!
  • It's okay to think about baby names and to be honest would be hard to stop doing!
  • It's okay to look at baby rugby shirts in the club-shop and think 'ah bless, they'll look great in that.'
  • Looking up antenatal and yoga classes is sensible and will not tempt fate. Okay so I was a bit early but I was curious okay!!
  • Just about all everyday soaps, lotions and shower-gels are perfectly okay to use when you are pregnant and have nothing at a concentrate which could harm an embryo.
  • It's okay to go shopping and walk to the rugby - pregnancy is not an illness and so long as you don't start hiking miles it's okay. This did not cause the miscarriage.
  • Taking the cyclogest at different times in the morning and evening is okay. So long as they are taken it really doesn't matter if there is an hour difference now and again. This had no effect on the outcome.
  • My diet during IVF was fantastic and very sensible and there is nothing I ate which could have caused this and nothing extra I could have taken to stop miscarrying. Pity I can't be this sensible all the time!
  • Having nephews and nieces climb all over me at Christmas could not have caused this - things are well-cushioned in there you know.

There - I'm sure there are more that I've missed. Some of them really are silly and I just have this whole thing about tempting fate. Like looking at baby rugby shirts in the club shop will cause God to go 'oh she's counting her chickens, right lets give it to her' - doh!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah,
I just saw the incoming link to my blog from yours so naturally I clicked through...

I'm really sorry to hear about the baby. I think you are very brave to post your feelings and thoughts about it all - it makes me realise how lucky H and I were to be able to conceive without any trouble.

I hope you and Rob get what you want in the new year - I can't thin k of better potential parents than yourselves. Best wishes,

Matt

Sarah x said...

Thanks Matt x