We had our follow-up appointment with our consultant today which went pretty well I think. It was strange actually as the first thing he did was to ask how I was and how things were going and I was kind of like 'well fine' and I kind of think that he must be used to many women going in there in tears after a negative cycle and being in a bit of a state. Three weeks ago I would have been but physically things are fine and mentally I feel so much more positive and just really want to get going with the next cycle.
Anyway, we talked through the cycle and my ovaries are really sensitive (bless!) I had been put on a dose of stims consistent with my age and hormone levels and it was far too high, so for the next cycle they will be halved. I kind of think that must be a good thing that they are responding well and hope that they continue to do that!
We then had to make a decision about what to do next. We have our three frozen embryos which we could use, although the success rate for FET is much less than for a fresh cycle and there is a high loss rate when they are defrosted. So I could down-regulate and then find we only have 1 embryo, maybe 2 if we're lucky or at worst-case none. The alternative is to stimulate again with a complete fresh cycle. The downside to this is that it does involve down-reg and stim and there's a danger my ovaries may do funny things again, or that the halved dose isn't enough and we have to abandon through too few follicles. Gosh it's all so difficult!
Anyway, we've decided to go for the fresh cycle - after all it increases our chances and there's a chance that my fertility might go awol in the near future so whilst I'm still producing eggs I may as well do the fresh cycle. I might even get a few more to freeze! And then we can save these for a rainy day in case we do need them at some point.
So we are booked in for treatment and hopefully will get our dates through in the next few weeks. It will be after Easter at some point so a while to wait. Impatient!
No comments:
Post a Comment