I had my appointment today at Maidstone hospital to get my lumpy breast looked at. I didn't really know how to feel but it was a bit of a scary experience. As you walk into the unit there are notices on the wall about cancer support groups and things which you kind of really don't want to see when you are just having an investigation done. There were so many people there - it's like a production line of women all waiting to go in. You wouldn't believe how many women must get lumps in their breasts every week.
You could feel the anxiety in the room, the hushed thoughts of cancer in everyones head. Most women were there with their husbands, mothers or friends. I didn't really think about taking anyone with me. I guess that must have been a measure of how I didn't really think there was anything to worry about.
Anyway, I had my breast examined by a lady and then by her student doctor and they told me that they thought the bumps were just glands and nothing to worry about. I then had to have a mammogram to do the x-rays so they could be sure. Now there's an experience having them stretched out over a plate and then flattened by a machine, all at different angles!
But the upshot is that I got the all clear and for that I am so very very thankful. There were ladies in the clinic today who weren't so lucky and were having to have needles stuck in, biopsies taken and talks with specialist doctors and I can only say a massive thank you and sigh of relief that I don't have to go through that.
No comments:
Post a Comment