Tuesday, 15 July 2008

In a flash

When I walked out of my Close this morning I knew something had happened because the traffic was nose to tail queued along the main road and since they've built the by-pass that generally doesn't happen anymore. So I wasn't surprised to get to the traffic lights and see the police had blocked off the by-pass so that nobody could drive along it.

I felt quite strange walking past the barricade and going along the by-pass on the footpath/cycle-lane. I felt as though I was doing something wrong and as there was no sign of anyone else up there, nor any traffic or police it was really rather eerie.

It was only when I got over the hill I could see lots of police up by the next traffic lights and when I got there they were measuring up the accident scene and taking photos. Thankfully it had all happened a long time before so there were no ambulances or people about because it was all quite shocking. The accident had involved a bus, which had a shattered windscreen and front, and a bicycle which was extremely mangled and you could clearly see where the bus had run over it. When I saw it, it made me put my hand over my mouth in shock. I had a very bad feeling about it all and just prayed for the people involved.

Later in the morning I read on the BBC website that a 17 year old boy had been the cyclist killed in the accident. How utterly terrible. His poor mother probably made him his lunch this morning and cheerfully said goodbye not knowing it would be the last time she saw him alive. How absolutely awful.

Why didn't he use the cycle track?
Why didn't he use the cycle track?
WHY DIDN'T HE USE THE STUPID CYCLE TRACK?

Most cyclists going along the bypass do use the cycle path which is completely seperate from the road and so fully protected from the traffic. But some don't. I always look at them as they go by and wonder why they don't use it. It could save their life. Sigh. What a waste.

No comments: