Thursday, 17 July 2008

Trouble?

I went to the doctors today. I've had a kind of lumpy gland in my breast for a while now and it seems to swell up and get painful around the totm and then go down again. I noticed that it seemed to have got bigger lately and so it started to prey on my mind a bit.

To be honest I do just think it's a swollen gland although I guess I have no idea if it's a gland or a lump or what. I kept thinking 'what if I leave it and then really regret it in six months time if it turns out to be something else?' So today I went to the doctors. To be fair I didn't actually plan to go today but I just suddenly thought this morning that I should do it and so I did.

The doctor examined me and said that they always refer lumps and things onto the breast clinic so that they can be examined properly. She said that there are normally two types of lump:- 'worrying' and 'non-worrying' and she said mine was non-worrying which was good.

She explained that there is a 2-week rule which means that any 'worrying' lumps are seen within 2 weeks. Anyway, she got out a flow chart which she followed to ask me questions and stuff and once she started asking about my family history I suddenly found myself in the 'worrying' category after all as my maternal Gran had breast cancer when she was in her 60's. (She's in her 80's now so I've never really worried too much about this.)

So although I was told my lump was 'non-worrying', I'm actually being referred to the clinic as 'worrying.' Which IS worrying. I've gone from being quite laid back about it all to being slightly alarmed and fearful. At least I should get an appointment through very soon to go to the clinic and have a proper examination to see what it really is.

I wasn't worried at all this time yesterday. And now I feel slightly apprehensive. And thinking 'what if?'

Scary.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Oh, that is kind of scary...not knowing what is going on for sure is the worst. I'll be praying for you...