Thursday, 6 November 2008

Horse, Donkey or Elephant?

Well I got through egg collection yesterday and I feel slightly like a horse or something kicked me in the tummy. It's never been quite this achy and painful the day after but that's probably because they managed to retrieve 26 eggs!!! Oh my goodness! And my consultant would also have drained any of the other follicles which had fluid in so that adds up to a lot of needles going into my abdomen and lots of pressing and manipulation. Ouch!

A strange thing happened and that's that I woke up during the procedure. I'm guessing it was because there were so many eggs it took longer than the other times. It wasn't traumatic though and seems a bit like a dream now. I just vaguely remember hearing stuff kind of stirring and then at one point began to feel a needle going into my tummy!! I think I must have reacted at that point and they must have noticed and put me straight out again. It meant I was really groggy afterwards with all the sedation.

I thought that because they'd got 26 eggs my embryo transfer would be cancelled as it's supposed to mean I will get OHSS. However my consultant and the embryologist both said to see how I feel. So at the moment I'm still having transfer at 11.30am tomorrow morning. The embryologist phoned this morning and 17 eggs were mature and 13 of them have fertilised and grown overnight.

I am a bit swollen and I keep checking myself to see how I feel. I'm definitely not 100% and at times a lot less but it comes and goes and today the pain is less. I'm kind of betting that I do still get OHSS but I'm determined to go for transfer tomorrow as I feel up to it right now. If I get ill I'll just have to deal with it afterwards. I'm still scared though - I really really really don't want to go through that horribleness again.

Please please please don't let me get OHSS! I'm doing the positive thinking thing and trying to imagine my ovaries shrinking and all the fluid draining out.

No comments: