Monday, 23 June 2008

Re-Cycling

We had our follow-up with my consultant today and he was as nice as always. He is the reason we are still at the Chaucer really as I like him and trust him. Anyway he said the last cycle was great and embryology-wise was fantastic as we got the 8 good eggs. He asked us what we wanted to do and so I said a fresh cycle and he was encouraging for that but said that we needed to think about using the eggs we have frozen rather than just stack them all up in the freezer, else why were we freezing them?

So I explained that the reason I wanted a fresh cycle was that it was so hard getting cycles booked in with the Chaucer that it seemed a waste of time doing a frozen cycle where the chances of success are much lower and it would then mean having to wait ages again in the queue for a fresh cycle.

And he was very sympathetic. So we have booked in for a fresh cycle which I will get a letter about next week with the timescales - probably September. BUT - he has suggested that there's no reason why I shouldn't do a frozen cycle in the meantime. He said it wasn't normally done to book in for two cycles at the same time (because most people don't get loads of frozen like I have), but he is going to speak to the team and see if I can still do an unmedicated frozen cycle whilst still booking in for the fresh one in September.

So please please please let them say it's okay and then hopefully over the summer I can use a couple of my frozen babies and hope that they might do the trick. And if they don't then I'll have the cycle later in the year to try again properly.

I actually feel quite positive today. I'd been chilling and thinking that it would be at least September before we could try again but if we can get this frozen cycle in before-hand over the summer that would be fab.

To explain, there are two types of FET (frozen embryo transfer). The first is unmedicated which can be done if you have regular periods. You have to use wee-sticks to test every day for when you ovulate and then ring the Chaucer and they thaw out a couple of embryos, thawing out more if they don't look healthy. And two days after ovulation you have them put back in so it all follows your own natural cycle. If you don't have a regular cycle then you have to inject again and create an artificial cycle. FET has a lower success rate than fresh cycles but can and does work. I'm hoping to do the unmedicated one.

No comments: