Thursday, 6 March 2008

The whole truth

I've got my contract through today from my new employer to sign and send back and with it came an pre-employment occupational health questionaire to fill in. It's the only thing I haven't completed yet as it's raised some questions in my head.

There are loads of questions around various conditions I might have had in the past and immunisations and all sort of stuff which is straight-forward. But then come a number of questions like:-

  • Have you been to see your doctor in the last year?
  • Have you been in hospital or a clinic in the last year?
  • Are you currently waiting to see a hospital or clinic?
If so, you have to give all the details. My problem is my infertility treatment. I know that I need to tell the truth and put it all down. Yes I've been to see my doctor to check me over after my miscarriage. Yes I've been in a clinic to have IVF, egg collection and transfer and a stay for 4 days in Ashford on a drip for OHSS. Yes I'm currently with the same clinic to do all the same things in the next couple of months. But I'm kind of scared to put all of that down and have even considered not disclosing this information. The thing is, the questionnaire is wanting to know in general what my health is like and my health (touch wood) is just fine. I'm a healthy human being and infertility is not an illness. The tests for it are not a reflection on my health and my treatment is to get pregnant, not to cure me or make me better.

I'm also scared that if I put down my treatment that if may affect my job offer, even though I'm sure this would be totally illegal.

The problem I have is that in April I am going to need to get into work slightly late on occasions when I have scans and I will need 2-3 days off work (annual leave) for EC/ET. Somehow I will need to make my excuses for these absences and get the time off, hopefully without having to tell my new managers about the IVF.

I don't think it's a good idea to lie on this questionnaire but I feel very very uncomfortable detailing all my treatment on it.

No comments: