Saturday, 7 January 2012

Birthday Girl

It was my Grannie's birthday today and as it was a Saturday and we'd already driven up to Mum and Dad's yesterday for the rugby (another story!) we were able to go and see Gran on her birthday. I can't remember the last time that happened, I'm normally miles away and having to go to work and it's not often birthdays fall on the weekend.

So on Thursday night I made a lemon drizzle cake and dug out some candles. So when we got to Grans we popped the kettle on whilst she opened her presents and then I lit the candles for her to blow out. Gramps was funny, he was having a wash in the kitchen when we got there and saw the cake which I'd put in the dining room on his way through. He started joking about the seven candles and was asking where the other eighty were. It was funny.

It was so nice to share Gran's birthday with her and I think she was chuffed that I'd baked her a cake. It made me feel so good to be able to do it. She is such a top Gran. I've never ever felt that she was like a Granny. And by that I mean that she's never seemed old to me. I know she is aged and grey and wrinkly and finds it hard to get about but in her manner and in her mind she has always been up to date and with it. You can really talk to her and have a great conversation and she really doesn't ever seem to have lost any marbles. When I was still at school I always said to my friends that my Gran wasn't like a Gran because she just wasn't ever like anyone elses Gran!

She's mine and she's brilliant.

No comments: