Something is very different at work this week. I've started work on a development project which is to run alongside my normal support work. The project is the last part of an even bigger project which is rather large and important and due to go live in February. This means that our part of it has to be finished by the end of the year which means it's all rather busy as the deadlines are very tight.
I'm finding it really tough this week. I've never done any .NET development from scratch before and my experience with it is limited. I've really enjoyed working on support because all the enhancements and bugs have been to existing code which is much easier! I've now been given stuff to write which I've never done before and I'm SO struggling at the moment. It doesn't help that it's mission critical and already running to a tight deadline. I did tell my boss a couple of months ago that I'd not be too confident doing this role as I've not done it before but as resources are tight it seems it doesn't matter.
I feel really out of my depth and I've written only a few lines of code which actually work this week. It's been very hard, very worrying and very stressful. Couple that with the fact that I'm cycling at the moment and it's all becoming far too much really. I had a bit of a weep in the loos at one point today and felt really pathetic. But I just don't need all this at the moment but can't really see anyway of getting around it. My boss is away as he's having a knee operation and at the moment I don't feel I can talk to the guy who is running this new project as I don't know him that well.
Sigh. It's actually a great opportunity to learn but I'm not sure how appreciative the project will be to me working so slowly whilst it's all so hectic.
I'm going to need three days off work next week too which I haven't actually asked for yet. I know it will be a 'no' from my new project and I'm beginning to think I'm just going to have to ring in sick.
Why does life throw so many challenges?
No comments:
Post a Comment