I went to a rugby match about a month ago with just Mum and Dad as Richard was in Belgium on work and Rob had gone to Ipswich to see Glyn for the weekend. The weather was extreme - pouring with rain and windy at the same time. We got to Northampton and as we parked the rain seemed to increase in pace and was just hammering on the roof of the car. We sat there for a moment and laughed a little, saying "we're going to get soaked." And we were right.
We got out and walked to the ground underneath two massive brollies, Dad and I under the sturdy golf one and mum under another. It was hilarious. We were walking against the wind and it was hard to walk and at the same time a million drops of rain were smashing into us. Dad and I just started laughing and it all seemed the funniest thing in the world. As we turned the corner Mum's brolly turned inside out and she had to hold on tight to stop it flying away. It was so funny and we just laughed even more - poor Mum!
During the match we stand on the terrace so brollies aren't allowed so we stood and got rained on. We got wetter and wetter and by half-time we were rather cold. And then it stopped! By which time we were all soaked but it was such fun because all of us on the terrace were in the same state and so everyone was joking about it and it just seemed like the best thing that had happened. How strange is that?
We got home and dried out and I look back on this afternoon as such a happy day and I shall always remember Dad and I having a laughing fit behind a brolly which was being blown every which way in the pouring rain. Happy days.
No comments:
Post a Comment