A couple of weeks ago we noticed a new plant growing on our rockery. That's not so unusual as quite a few things grow there, normally weeds, but this was recognisable as a teeny tiny oak tree. It was growing in a rather crazy place, right at the front of the rockery where the soil is thin and there's little room for growth."It'll have to go" we said, "It can't grow there."
But somehow I couldn't bring myself to pull it out. We get quite a few nut trees growing at various places around the garden which I guess is down to the squirrels and I just pull them up along with random holly and sycamore shoots which take hold. There was something about this little growth of oak that I just couldn't pull out though.
A couple of days ago we were gardening and out of nowhere Rob decided that enough was enough and pulled the plant out. I was horrified. Luckily it came out whole and had a big root on it so I grabbed it from him and immediately transplanted and watered it into a big pot. I wasn't sure if it would survive, but three days on and it's still green..
I really really hope it carries on growing as there's something very special about oak trees. Something magical and timeless. Acorns have a 1 in 10,000 chance of growing into a tree so our little acorn has done well to firstly grow in our dry rockery and secondly survive being weeded.
Rob and I were talking last night and we realised that if this little plant survives it will most likely out-live us both as oak trees can live for hundreds of years. It takes 30 years before it can even be mature enough to produce acorns! I'm glad I saved this tree and once we get our own place we'll have to find a suitable spot where it can settle down and thrive for the next thousand years. There are worse things to leave behind as a legacy and if mine is a lovely solid English oak tree, well I'll be happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment