Friday, 19 September 2008

Youch

I finally plucked up the courage to go down to Aylesford Ladies for some rugby training this week. I was rather scared, not because of meeting new ladies but because Aylesfords first team are in a league way above what I've ever played and I was slightly concerned about getting tackled all over the pitch, it hurting loads as well as looking rather daft!

But it was fun. Tuesday was fitness training and it was on the go for the whole hour and a half doing various rugby drills and running about lots. We concentrated on mauling and running into the pads in various ways and supporting the maul which was really good. By half-way through my thighs were telling me they'd had enough and my back too by the end. I got home, showered, ate some tea and just sat falling asleep on the sofa as I was so exhausted.

I was even more concerned about Thursday as this was 'contact' training and my tackling isn't the best and I know from experience it hurts if you get tackled hard by more experienced players. But it was fine. It was easier than the fitness stuff and we did lots of drills followed by some line-out work with some mauls from the line-out and then got together with the backs to do some opposed work. I really enjoyed it and wish now that I'd gone down there before.

With my treatment beginning soon I can only play for a couple of weeks before I have to stop and then I may go back or not depending on the result. When I say that I wish I'd gone there before, I know that I couldn't have done this a year ago. I've been totally honest with the Aylesford girls and told them straight out that I'm having IVF and so might not be with them for long but that I might or might not be back. I couldn't have done that a year ago. I feel better being able to talk about it openly, which is strange because most of my friends don't know and neither does lots of my family. I kind of feel it's a step in the right direction though, by talking to people and saying the words somehow makes it less of just my problem.

If we get enough players I'm playing for the second team on Sunday. It was a big decision because Beccs have a game on Sunday too. In the same league. I feel a bit naughty for not playing for them but I'm feeling great about playing for my new team. That of course is dependent on if any of my muscles decide to stop aching between now and Sunday. I'm also hoping the bruises which I've already picked up will fade so that I can wear a dress to Rob's Auntie's 40th wedding anniversary party on Saturday!!

No comments: