Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. LawrenceI wasn't sure what to expect from such a notorious title and wondered how 'naughty' it was actually going to be. It kicked up such a storm when it was published and I was intrigued to see how saucy it really was and was expecting the naughtiness to overwhelm the rest of the novel. So I was surprised to find myself caught up in the tale which is a very simple story of two people finding each other and falling in love. It's a beautiful love story and is told in a very innocent and almost naive way. I really enjoyed it and it really wasn't what I expected at all.
What interested me the most about the novel was the insight into social history and how differently people's views of love, sex and a woman's place in a relationship were back in the early part of the century. You were led to believe that most women didn't like or want sex and that it was something they put up with in a marriage, expecially in the upper classes. It was so refreshing and wonderful that Connie learnt differently and managed to find love apart from all the normal stereotypes of the day.
A really nice book.
No comments:
Post a Comment