Sunday, 13 May 2012

3rd time unlucky

We went to the Stoop yesterday to see Northampton play Quins in the League semi-finals. It's the third year in a row that we have got into the semi-finals but sadly have never reached the finals. We got knocked out in a massively physical game last year away to the Tigers. The year before that we were cruelly beaten at home by Saracens in a snatch and grab game.  In previous years we've played away to Wasps who always beat us.  This year it was Quins and to be honest, we've not been very consistent this year and Quins finished top and have been much better.

But I don't go to a rugby game because I expect us to win, I go because there's always a chance that we might win and because I love my team.  I want to see them win of course but even if they are probably going to lose I want to be there, to be part of the crowd, to experience what happens and to see the lads try their best for the precious gold, black and green.  (If I wanted to win every time I'd be a Tigers fan and where's the fun in that?!)

So yesterdays game was no different to a normal semi-final, cagey and no-one really wanting to do anything to let the opposition get ahead.  So we exchanged penalties and exchanged the lead up to 14 minutes to go, when Saints broke through and worked through a magnificent try!  We all went mad - with no team having scored a try so far it looked like the breakthrough - could we defend and keep Quins out for the next 10 minutes?  I was very emotional at this point, the feeling of being in the lead and ten minutes away from a Premiership final filled me with such joy.

But disaster, Saints completely failed in closing the gates and let Quins get a penalty which brought them within reach and with the minutes ticking away, Quins went over for a massive team try from a big maul.  Why did Saints let them get so close to the line? Why didn't they pull the maul down and get a yellow card to save the try? Why oh why oh why?  It was so gutting, with 3 minutes on the clock, Quins took the lead and then did what Saints didn't by securing the ball and keeping it stuffed up their jumpers.

So we lost, third year in a row.  I expected to lose beforehand but having been 10 minutes away from glory it was gutting - so gutting, I was so disappointed.

It's a hard thing when you lose a game to swallow the disappointment.  I hate bad sports and I always make sure I smile at the fans around me and say well done but it hurt, really hurt.  So we walked into Twickenham and found a pub which had the Tigers vs Saracens game on.  There were plenty of Quins fans in who all wanted to talk about the game and twenty minutes later things didn't feel quite so bad and we had a lovely afternoon watching the other game and talking to the rugby fans we met in the pub.

Even Wayne Barnes the referee came in for a drink later on, apparently it's his local.  I'm so lucky that we can be part of the rugby community who watch, chat, eat, drink and socialise together.  I love rugby and I love rugby fans - they are the best.  So this season is now officially over (for us anyway lol) but you know what's the best thing? 

There's always next season....Come on you Saints!

No comments: