When I was born, my mum's brother David was 18 years old and whilst I was growing my first teeth, saying my first words and learning to walk, he went off to Manchester to university. Eighteen years later, Uncle David was fighting cancer and whilst I went off to university in Manchester, Uncle David was taking his last steps and breaths and died aged 38 years old. I remember at his funeral people saying how young he was and that 38 was no age at all. I was a student, the world was my oyster and at 19 years old, 38 seemed a lifetime away and to me was very grown-up and definitely old.
As I celebrate my 40th birthday today the age of 38 is now indeed no age at all and despite being in my 41st year I feel no different to how I did at age 18 or 28 for that matter. I spoke to my grand-mother today and said I felt the same as I did at age 28 and she turned around to me and said "well so do I, I feel exactly the same and look at me at 85!"
So many people hate turning 30 or 40 or 50 etc. and I do wonder at where the years have flown to. But I've had 40 very happy and fulfilled years and as I embrace being a oh God wait for it 'middle-aged woman' I can only plan to fill the next 40 with lots of joy and happiness. After all, some people never get the chance to make it to 40 and so on that score and on so many more I am extremely well-blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment