I decided to learn a poem off by heart last week. It's the sort of thing we did at school and found really easy but school was (oh gosh) over 20 years ago now and my brain is rusty and didn't really want to get cranked up for learning to start with. I was determined though as I love this poem and I walked home from work across Manor Farm Country Park meadow which was alive with birds and insects and beautiful with wild flowers and I made myself just stand and look and wonder. It actually made me feel quite emotional that a guy around 100 years ago could feel the same emotions and thoughts that I was having at that moment.
This is 'Leisure' by W.H. Davies.
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?
No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn, at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait, till her mouth can,
Enrich that smile, her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
1 comment:
Beautiful poem. And so true. I'm fine...things are overall really good, though I am personally struggling with chronic pain no one can explain to me. It's tiring for sure, but I think I'm going to try going to the DR. again. We'll see...yes, I took the blog down for awhile now. I think I just needed a break from it. I have been thinking of putting it back up. Your patio garden looks just delightful! I miss gardening. I use to do a lot of it until this pain stuff happened. Hope your risotto was yummy:)
Post a Comment