Wednesday, 9 June 2010

A different kind of day

I had two days off work after our sunny weekend and so we made a trip down to the coast to Broadstairs. I'd never been there before but it was really lovely and unspoilt and totally Victorian. I love the way that British towns are so influenced by our social history and how many of our seaside towns are like taking a step back in time to when a week at the seaside was a once-a-year thing (if at all) and going abroad was for the very rich and famous only. You can almost see the old bathing costumes, swimming hats and knotted handkerchiefs. Wonderful stuff.
I LOVE multi-coloured wooden beach huts!
And Broadstairs has another secret which I had no idea about - Charlie Dickens! He used to live there for a while, visited a lot and wrote there too. And this house below is 'Bleak House' where he stayed on occasions and obviously inspired him to write.

No comments: