Friday, 5 January 2007

Back to reality

It's back to work properly now and I'm really struggling. Things at work haven't been all that great for quite a while but last year was so full of the wedding that I just kept my head down and got on with things thinking it could wait and I'd sort it out afterwards. Then we were off on honeymoon, then it was Christmas and here I am, not enjoying work very much at all and wondering why I'm still hanging around there.

What to do about work? We have an offshore team and basically my job that I used to do and love is now done by them. Apparently us onshore people are too expensive! However we end up hand-holding and checking and doing most of the dull administration jobs associated with supporting the offshore team which they seem unable to do. Which means for me - very little development work, no programming or creating web pages, all the stuff I like doing. So the dilema, do I just cut my losses and go for a new job, or hold out for voluntary or compulsory redundancy? (which are a real possibility at some point in the next year). I kind of feel after 12 years there they owe me something without me just resigning. It would be much better to leave with some reduncancy money BUT that means me hanging around being not very happy and having a crappy time at work.

And we desperately need to get on the property ladder this year. Can I afford to get a new job which will certainly be less money and a far worse package than I'm on now AND buy a house? It's hard enough trying to find a house we can afford anyway. Decisions, decisions! They say money isn't everything but when it comes to buying a house it's very very depressing looking at the prices and then seeing what we can borrow and afford. At the moment they don't really match so it's going to be a struggle. Aaarrgghh!

But onto cheerier things, Rob always tells me off when I start to get negative and dwell on things, whilst Dear Blog, you do not! But I got home tonight and Rob said to me "I've got something for you" and came up and gave me a big kiss and then he said "And that's from Sam" who is our 4 year old nephew. Rob had popped down to his mums and Sam was there and so had sent me a big kiss - bless!

No comments: